Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Podcast & Audio

When asked to complete this lab I thought it would be a fun experience. I have been listening to Gender Talk Radio on-line for quite some time and thought it may be interesting to expand my on-line listening to other shows/podcasts.

When searching for podcasts I download 9 different podcasts and 2 video podcasts to see the difference and attempt to obtain a variety of shows.

Of the shows I listened to and watched my favorites / useful to my majors (Cultural Studies/ Women's Studies) were:

The L Word
www.sho.com/site/downloads/rss/lword.xml

The Planet
theplanetcast.libsyn.com/rss

Big Gay News
feeds.feedburner.com/BigGayNews

The Gay Parenting Show
gaypareenting.thepodcastnetwork.com/feed

Video: She Said What
feeds.feedburner.com/videoshesaidwhat

A few of the shows I listened to were only music, giving insight to new artists, up and coming bands etc. Although I decided that I enjoyed the talk-show based podcasts much better since I felt as thought I was doing a form of research to gain insight to topics being dealt with in my majors as well as becoming enlightened in news issues which do not necessarily make the headlines but are of interest to me.

I believe that through this experience I learnt a lot while also thinking critically about news issues. I believe that I would continue to listen to podcasts in the future since I am not really interested in TV. As well, I work at the school library where I am allowed to listen to music as I work and believe this may be a better use of my time rather than always listening to music.

The audio book I chose to listen to was Kafka's 'The Metamorphosis'. I chose 'The Metamorphosis' because I had just recently read the short and wanted to compare the accuracy and difference between reading 'The Metamorphosis' and listening to it. I found this version from {http://www.simplyaudiobooks.ca/Free_Audiobooks/dp/202/} Not bad and only slightly different however I could not stand the mans voice at all and was quite thankful when it was over. Having gone on long car rides since I was young I am no stranger to the audiobook and know that their are some very good ones out there.

I also examined two different price plans from two different online audio book sites. This is how they compare.

http://www.simplyaudiobooks.ca/Learn-More-Rent/dp/45/

Selections at a Time 12 month Annual* Monthly
1
$11.95
$14.95
2
$20.95
$24.95
3
$29.95
$32.95
4
$36.95
$39.95
Our rental members get:
Unlimited Rentals!
No Late Fees! No Due Dates!
FREE Shipping BOTH WAYS!
Over 8,000 Titles!
Cancel Anytime!

http://www.jiggerbug.com/
1: Create a list of all the audiobooks you'd like to listen to.
2: Receive your audiobooks in the mail & enjoy.
3: No Due Dates! No Late Fees!
Mail the books back when you're ready for the next titles on your list. (Prepaid Return. Mailer Provided!)
Most Populare Monthly Plan 2 books out at a time + 1 FREE rental download every 2 weeks. $24.95 per month with one year prepay.
I thought that all of the price plans were faire since this way you do not have books taking up space on your shelf and it is quite reasonable when you consider the average price of a book. The only downfall seems to be in the time you need to listen to the books. I also am of the belief that this does not exercise your brain and perhaps reading a novel on occasion would still be a positive idea.

I was very impressed with the free audiobooks and felt like this was a good idea however you must make sure that the reader is easy to listen to.

All in all I enjoyed this exercises and believe I will become a regular podcast listener.

No comments: